Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Analysis of Current TV's Submission Policy (PART 1)


Current TV Submission Policy
Originally uploaded by Insurgent.
Part 1 of 2
If you click on the picture, you can read the Submission Terms that govern all content uploaded to the Current Studio.

Throughout this entry, I will be referencing this document as I attempt to break down all the legalease, and explain anything that I feel is of importance. It's important to note that I am not a lawyer and any and all analysis made by me regarding any legal documents should be regarded as that of a layperson; as such, these opinions should not be relied upon as legal fact and I take no responsibility for any interpretive mistakes made in my commentary. In some cases, I have used bold text to add emphasis.

  • I hereby grant to Current the exclusive, royalty-free perpetual right to exhibit, display and otherwise distribute my Submission via Current's web site for a period of thre (3) months.

  • I've written about Current's policy regarding internet rights in a previous entry.

  • I further grant to Current an option to acquire the exclusive right to broadcast, exhibit or otherwise distribute my Submission in all media throughout the world in perpetuity.

  • Anyone thinking about uploading to Current should already be well aware of this, but in case you're not. It's important that you realize that once you've uploaded a piece to Current, they have the chance to snap up all your rights to the piece itself forever in return for compensation according to the Current pay scale. You'll get $250 for the first piece they choose to option.

  • I forever waive an relinquish all so-called "moral rights (droit moral)" now or hereafter recognized

  • I'm not 100% sure what this means, but it sure sounds scary. In a previous post, I wrote about how the corporate media is using my footage to advance a news story which I find biased, "moral rights" may simply make the fact that I'd have no recourse under such a situation explicit.

  • I agree not to issue any publicity on behalf of Current, but I am free to make casual and non-derogatory public statements regarding Current.

  • I'm not entirely sure what it means to make publicity on behalf of Current, but I'm guessing that my conversations with the media regarding Current TV would qualify although to the best of my knowledge it isn't possible to simply click away one's first ammendment rights. In regards to "casual and non-derogatory public statements," I'm uncertain what the legal definition for casual or non-derogatory is, or whether such a legal definition even exists.

  • I will have no right of approval or consultation with respect to Current's use of the Submission.

  • I totally understand relinquishing my rights of approval, but why must Current include consultation. Even if there's nothing the creator can do about it, he or she should at least have the opportunity to talk to Current about an issue regarding the use of their submission. In Current's fairness, I'm certain they would take the time to talk about such issues, but it troubles me that it was put into the terms.

    2 Comments:

    At 12:31 AM, Blogger R said...

    Yeah, when I read it I decided not to submit anything at all to them. Even uploading to free video hosting sites can be tricky.

     
    At 1:22 PM, Blogger brainy said...

    Josh, thanks *very* much for pointing out just what it was in current's terms thats bad. Extremely helpful to the rest of us.

    Renegade, would be curious about why 'free' video hosting sites can be tricky? I'm trying to get started myself, and that sounds like something I should look into before I upload anything to ourmedia

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home