Friday, July 01, 2005

The Current TV Saga Continues


Current TV pre-launch
Originally uploaded by blackcatmedia.
Out of respect to the many good people at Current TV I have refrained from publicly commenting on Current's response to my original post about their new submission policy. In light of the fact that Current has refused to respond to the e-mail I sent them Monday night, I've decided to post an update for those reading my blog.

On Monday June 27th, shortly after Dan Gillmor made his post about my entry, I recieved a phone call from Suemyra Shah at Current TV.

Suemyra Shah stated that several people at Current were frustrated by my post about the new submission terms. She went on to tell me that various employees at Current look at the Meetup organizers almost like employees, that we are percieved as representatives of Current, and therefore, as organizer, it is inappropriate for me to criticize Current TVs policies. Suemyra stated that if I'm going to continue to do so, I should step down as organizer.

Shocked by such a strong reaction, I told Suemyra that I'd need to let this all sink in before I was able to really give her an answer as to whether or not I was going to step down as organizer or if I was going to refrain from critical discussion regarding Current TV.

Late Monday night I sent my response. In recognition that Suemyra's concerns were valid, I told her that it should be up to our meetup group to decide whether or not I should continue as organizer. I proposed that I share with the meetup group that I've been asked to step down over a post I made on my blog, and that we'd be having an election at the July meetup to ascertain whether the group wants me to stay on as organizer.

The days went by with no response. Robin Sloan elected to address my original concerns on the Current blog, but only did so in response to Dan Gillmor who essentially just linked to me and stated his agreement with my concerns.

According to Current TVs CEO Al Gore:
We are about empowering this generation of young people... to engage in the dialogue of democracy adn to tell their stories about what's going on in their lives in the dominant medium of our time.
Additionally, Current has stated on several occasions that are commited to "fearless truth-telling." As a television station with a news-charter, it seems hypocritical for Current TV to suggest that I can't volunteer as organizer and be critical of the station. Where's the fearless truthtelling in that?

I look at the meetup group, less as a cheerleading squad for the upcoming station, and more as a guild or union. I think that if there are developments at Current that take issue with, then as a group we should be vocal about our concerns in the hope that Current is really listening and attempts to help find a solution to these various concerns.

Technorati tag:

5 Comments:

At 11:45 AM, Blogger Jackson said...

Wow. That's a crappy way to be rewarded for your time and ideas.

 
At 1:17 PM, Blogger ~ FluxRostrum said...

"almost like employees"

It sounds like they're running the station like a Democratic Candidate runs for election.

It's my impression that Meet-up is NOT affiliated with Current and therefore they should have absolutly no say in what goes on at those meetings.

Especially since you are "almost" an employee.... not an "actual" employee... seems like they're trying to infringe on your 1st ammendment rights...

Shills get Paid.
If they want a shill they need to pay you, WELL.
If you want to be a WELL PAID shill, take the JOB.

As for hard hitting truth.. they've already proven they aren't really interested in that.

 
At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Current has a talent for burning their most dedicated supporters. You are not alone. They are blind. They will be their own undoing, and those they've slighted will not be sympathetic when it happens.

 
At 10:17 AM, Blogger sull said...

The Mighty Dollar Must Yield To The Mighty Blogger.

 
At 5:23 PM, Blogger www.CherylShuman.com said...

I'm floored that things are happening in the world the way they are today. I truly believe with every cell in my body and soul that we are at the beginning of a spiritual awakening. It's time for all of us to speak up and make the changes in the world that society needs to live in peace and harmony.

May I ask a favor? I'm new to vlogging although I've been working in film and television since I was 15 years old. I've found that REAL life is FAR more interesting than the REALITY BULLSHIT that currently airs on traditional television. I just posted them. :-) I need the support of my buddies ya know? Here's the link:

http://ourmedia.org/node/26504

God bless us all.

Namaste'.
Cheryl Shuman
www.CherylShuman.com
www.TheInCrowdVlog.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home